In addition to meeting its primary purpose of providing regular campus bus service, the University of Tennessee Campus Transit System (The T) offers special event service on a limited basis.
Buses are available on a first-come, first-served basis and service is subject to the following limitations:
Special Event Bus Service Guidelines
- The service must have a purpose related to the University of Tennessee. All requests must be approved by the appropriate UT Dean, Director or Department Head before submission.
- Available buses range from 26-foot vans/minibuses with seating capacities for 16 passengers to standard transit-style buses with seating capacities for 29, 35 or 37 passengers. All buses are fully accessible and have space to accommodate two mobility devices. Specific vehicle requests will be fulfilled as vehicle availability permits based on each request.
- Service must remain within Knox County, Tennessee, with any exceptions approved in advance by the UT Director of Parking and Transit Services. Buses are not permitted to remain at a destination overnight.
- All requests made by University of Tennessee representatives must provide complete contact information including an account number for billing.
- For requests made by those external to University of Tennessee, there must be a UT representative to serve as the sponsor of each special event service request. These types of requests must be approved by the appropriate UT Dean, Director or Department Head before submission. Complete contact information for both the UT sponsor and the external organization must be provided.
- No open containers of food or beverages are allowed on the buses. Alcoholic beverages and smoking are strictly prohibited on the T buses. Unlawful or inappropriate activities associated with the special event bus service may result in immediate termination of the service.
- A completed “Special Event Bus Service Request” must be submitted to the UT Parking & Transit Services Office at least seven (7) working days prior to the desired departure date. Request forms are available at http://ridethet.utk.edu/special-event-service
- Special Event Bus Service Rates & Charges:
- The special event bus service rate for the current period through June 30, 2021 for UT departments/divisions is $98.06 per hour per bus. The rate for entities external to UT is $107.00. Rates are subject to change.
- Additional special event bus service charges include:
- Reasonable pre-trip preparation time, generally one-half hour prior to the scheduled loading time for pick-up points.
- The total time the bus is in use by the group including layover time at the destination point.
- Reasonable post-trip time to return the bus to the transit facility and for bus cleaning, generally one-half hour after the last passenger drop-off.
- Other bus driver expenses incurred as a result of the service such as parking fees.
- Charges will be made to the responsible party for buses returned in excessively dirty condition for additional cleaning at the current hourly rate.
- Upon completion of the trip the driver will request that the group leader verify his or her release time with a signature on the appropriate form.
- A minimum charge of two hours will be applied to all services of short duration.
- Event service may be canceled or modified during normal office hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday–Friday excluding university holidays) up to seven (7) workdays before the departure of the bus to avoid charges. A charge of $100.00 may be assessed for service that is canceled or modified late. All requests to cancel or modify service must be made in writing to the UT Parking & Transit Office at email@example.com.